On Thursday 12 September 2019 Shine Bright EYM celebrated the unveiling of their sculpture Bunjil and the formal launch of the organisation’s Reconciliation Action Plan (RAP).
Shine Bright would like to thank the following people.
- Natasha Carter and Andre Sardone for the creation of the Bunjil sculpture
- Special thanks to Melodie Russell and her staff team for coordinating this event and being the driving forces behind the creation of the sculpture
- Parent Advisory Group committees of 2017, 2018 & 2019
- Bendigo council (Colleen and Colin) for their support in the implementation of the sculpture
- Shine Bright’s Board for their support and approval of our RAP
Members of the RAP working committee, including:
- Jess Egan our Indigenous Advancement Strategy Coordinator who prioritised and drove our Plan,
- Kerri Douglas, Koorie Engagement Support Officer at DET
- Simon Penrose, Koorie Engagement Support Officer at DET,
- Veronica, our former Indigenous Advancement Strategy Supervisor at Shine Bright & currently a Community Worker at BDAC,
- Melodie Russell, Spring Gully Kindergarten Nominated Supervisor and Educational Leader,
- Patty Donaczy, Koorie Pre-School Assistant in Swan Hill,
- Belinda Schultz, Early Years Manager, and
- Shirley Burrell, Early Years Advisor in the Campaspe region.
Our Reconciliation Action Plan highlights the value of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultures in the communities we operate in.
The Plan is instrumental in developing culturally safe environments that enhance the opportunities for children and families to learn and develop.
Embedding cultural perspectives within our organisation’s practice is critical to further strengthen inclusion, positive engagement and strengthening of partnerships to achieve the best outcomes for our children, families and staff. The unveiling of the Bunjil sculpture is an example of embedding cultural perspectives and icons within our services.
The RAP has been a driver for change and actions within our organisation. To date, we have achieved some actions, whilst others are currently being worked on and others are incorporated for future plans.